OnlineBound Podcast #8
Jason Levine: Before and after going viral
June 30, 2021
In the final episode of this season, I’m speaking with an English teacher and teacher trainer Jason Levine, also known as Fluency MC. Jason’s unique approach to teaching English through hip-hop songs that he writes and performs made him go viral and changed the course of his career and life.
Tune in to learn more about Jason’s story and what he learned about creativity, marketing, and following your passions and staying true to yourself instead of doing what everyone else does.
Learn to forgive (forgave, forgiven) and you’ll stick to your ideas; stick to your plans; stick to your commitments and decisions at hand. Stick to your beliefs, not to passing trends. Stick your guns to stick it out to the end.
FLUENCY MC, from his song lyrics “Stick, Stuck, Stuck Part II”
Listen to the episode
Discussed in this episode:
- How Jason came up with the concept of teaching English through hip hop songs — and how long it actually took
- How Jason blended his passions for education, languages, and music to create something completely unique
- How the song that made him famous was born and what happened after that
- The concept of niching down and how Jason’s understanding of it has changed and evolved
- How the second part of the viral song was created and what Jason has learned about creativity through the process, and the pressure of having a super successful creation under your belt when you want to create something new
About Jason Levine
Jason Levine (Fluency MC) has more than twenty years of experience as an English teacher, teacher trainer, and materials writer. He has led student workshops and teacher training programs in twenty-one countries in Europe, the Americas, Africa, and the Middle East.
Originally from the United States, Jason currently lives in Paris, France. He conducts workshops in France and worldwide for primary, secondary, and university students based on the songs he writes and performs as Fluency MC.
Jason has published materials with Oxford University Press and Editions Didier. His self-published Fluency MC Song and Video Activity Book was a finalist for a 2017 British Council ELTons award. “Stick, Stuck, Stuck,” Jason’s song and video to practice irregular verbs, has been viewed more than 50 million times on social media.
How you can support this podcast
If you like this podcast and find it useful, you can support it in the following ways:
Free ways to support this podcast
🔸 Write a review on Apple Podcasts. Reviews are super important for the algorithm and help more people find the podcast.
🔸 Share it with someone who may find it useful. The link to the podcast page is elenamutonono.com/podcast
🔸 Share it on social media. On Instagram, tag @elenamutonono so I can see your post.