OnlineBound Podcast #31
Benny Lewis on his mental health struggles.
December 8, 2022
In this episode I’m speaking with Benny Lewis, a digital nomad and the founder of Fluent in 3 Months. Benny opens up about his mental health struggles, his long journey to recovery and the lessons he’s learned along the way — about himself and his business.
He shares about his burnout, debt, divorce and depression — the series of events snowballing over the years and resulting in a time of darkness and hopelessness, which led to a major emotional breakdown.
I’m thankful to Benny for his openness and vulnerability as he took this uncertain journey down a long path of recovery, with no guarantees and a clear timeline. Despite the challenges, the story is inspiring and hopeful. Please enjoy and share with a friend. If you’re struggling today — reach out for help and please know you’re not alone!
Listen on: Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher
Listen to the episode
Links and resources
- Whatever happened to Benny Lewis? A personal update (released on Youtube October 12, 2020).
- How long does mental health recovery take? (released on Youtube July 3, 2021).
- Brene Brown Listening to Shame: a TED talk.
- Benny’s website: Fluent in 3 Months.
- Benny’s Youtube channel.
- Benny on Instagram: @irishpolyglot
About Benny Lewis
Benny Lewis, from Ireland, is a digital nomad and expert in rapid language learning. For a decade and a half, he has traveled the world and immersed himself in local cultures through learning local languages. When he completed his university studies in electronic engineering at the age of 21, he spoke only English. He now speaks 7 languages fluently, 4 others conversationally, and has dabbled in dozens more.
Benny shares his techniques for “language hacking” with learners all over the world through his international best-selling book, Fluent in 3 Months, and on his award-winning website, which is now the largest and most popular language learning blog in the world. He has also released language courses under the series title “Language Hacking”. For his work in language learning, Benny has been honored as a European Union Language Ambassador, and as National Geographic’s Traveler of the Year (2013).
How you can help this podcast
Free ways to support this podcast
- Write a review on Apple Podcasts. Reviews are super important for the algorithm and help more people find the podcast.
- Subscribe on your favorite podcast platform: Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher
- Share it with someone who may find it useful. The link to the podcast page is elenamutonono.com/podcast
- Share it on social media. On Instagram, tag @elenamutonono so I can see your post.
Other ways to show your support
- Buy my books.
- Check out my courses.
- Learn more about teaching languages online the smart way: download my free kit.
OnlineBound is created and produced by Elena Mutonono and edited by Hanna James. Podcast branding by Veronika Palovska. Podcast music by James Martin.