What happens when all the marketing you do for your online teaching business hits a wall? Knowing how “ecstatic” you get when you think about marketing, hitting a wall is a common experience. What we do about it determines whether or not our business will thrive.
In his insightful 10-minute TEDex talk, Paul Rulkens argues that when 97% of us hit a wall we choose:
- To do the same things, except try harder.
- Not to do anything at all.
Only 3% of the population will try a different, creative solution when faced with a problem.
“… how often we all try to solve problems by doing more of what’s not working — just doing it harder, grinding it out longer. We’ll do anything to avoid the lowest of the low – self examination.” Brené Brown.
If you’re an online teacher with a marketing crisis on your hands, you’re likely to:
- Go and get yourself a new certificate – DELTA, CELTA, etc. (because more CPD will make your services more appealing in the eyes of your clients, right?).
- Create an online course (the emphasis is of course on the create part, not the sell part).
If you want to be in the remaining 3% category, you’ll know that creating an online course (or a membership site, or starting a new podcast) is like pouring new wine into the old wineskins — it will create new problems.
It’s our mindset that needs to change, the core, the why, and until we look on the inside and see how our brands are different and unique, nothing external will miraculously fix our marketing.
So in this post I’m sharing the marketing resources (books, programs, courses and blogs) for the 3% of the people who have been brave enough to tell themselves that a new product isn’t a solution to an internal wound.
Let’s dive in: 25 Resources to Boost Your Marketing Online
Disclaimer: some of the links below are affiliate* (here’s what it means). I’ve tried/read/tested all of them, and they’ve helped me transform my marketing by doing the hard, deep-digging and satisfying work of self-discovery.
- Alexandra Franzen’s blog (inspiring and motivational)
- The Enchanting Marketing blog (copywriting tips without fluff)
- Darius Foroux’s blog (productivity and efficiency tips)
- Do You Speak Freedom blog (branding for online teachers and coaches)
- Seth Godin’s blog (short and to the point, focusing on one thing)
- The Story of Telling blog (short, inspirational and creative)
- This blog (if you want to find out how to teach online in a smarter way + design it as a business) >> sign up for the newsletter.
- Seth Godin’s books (start with Tribes or The Purple Cow)
- Meera Kothand’s book on blogging, The One-Hour Content Plan (brief, specific, actionable, delivers on its promise)
- Brené Brown’s books (start with Rising Strong or Daring Greatly).
- Alexandra Franzen’s free books + her latest book, You’re Going to Survive
- Opted Out of the *Real Job* by Veronika Palovska and moi — “like a mentor in your pocket.” >> a book + a journal
- Meera Lee Patel’s, My Friend fear (an inspiring book, on overcoming your fears and being brave as a creative)
- Seth Godin, The Marketing Seminar* (not for you if you’re just dreaming of one day teaching online) >> the link will give you 50% off (if the enrollment is open) OR access this course on Udemy* at any time (Note: this will fit you best if you’ve been in business for several years).
- Cathy Presland, Start a Business You Love. Idea to Income in 30 Days* (actionable and practical course for beginners who love to see a bigger picture + get specific steps to achieve it).
- Veronika Palovska, Write with Clarity and Confidence* (an absolute must if you have no idea what to write on your website or if your writing will yield any results).
- Trisha Traughber, Slice of Life: Creative Writing Program* (if you struggle to find your voice or if your writing has lost its spark). Note: It’s creative writing that sells best. So investing into it is worth it.
- Veronika Palovksa, Blog2Teach (if you love writing and are wondering how to make it slave for you and bring you clients).
- If you come from the online teaching background (READ: zero idea what marketing is about), joining my Smart Teacher’s Hub will give you an idea how you can work less and make money smarter. We start with defining our niche and then move into a program creation + sales. It’s a 2-week boot camp, so don’t plan it if you have a family wedding coming up.
Check out these 25 #values focused resources to boost your #marketing online. #biztipsClick To Tweet
FREE Facebook groups:
- Holstee membership (to keep yourself motivated, use mutonono3 to get the first 3 months at 30% off): from $15/mo
- Smart Teacher’s Library (to find actionable marketing solutions when you teach online + access to community + coaches): $19/mo
- Venture Pop Conference (a great event for creative entrepreneurs in New Orleans).
- Online Teacher’s Summit (if you want to teach online, this is a place to get started. Just make sure you free up a lot of time to watch the videos + participate in discussions).
Can you share any other life-and-business-transforming marketing events, courses, programs or books? Please post them in the comments and add how they have helped your business. Thank you!
P.S. Special thanks to José de la Paz for sharing the TEDex talk with me!